Mar 13, 2008

Hiking Days #0001

I have been into this old people's sport "Hiking" or some of you may call it mountain climbing.

Have been a city boy all my life, don't have appreciation for the nature's beautiful surrounding until I took my fat ass to climb Mt. Kinabalu on Sep'07. It was a great experience for a city boy like me, but upon touch down towards the Kota Kinabalu city I asked myself " why take a vacation where you need to suffer ? "

Anyway since I came back to KL, I didn't really stop this activity because:
1. This sport does not require you to buy expensive gears
2. Reduce my weight and also make a healthier fat-so
3. Nature beautiful surroundings

There was a hill near my place, it's call the Bukit Putih (White Hill) or some chinese might called it Ah Pak San (Old Men's Hill) as many retired people go there to hike. Many which are from another side of the city comes here for a good sweat, and not to mention to have deserts after the sweaty sessions.

Bukit Putih is a reserved forest, part of the Ulu Langat reserved forest if I am not mistaken, and has about 5 Levels of hiking. So far I only made it to level 3 and but by that time, most of the people which I met will have their cloths all wet... rainy or shiny day. There is 2 route back and for'd from level 1 which is much more easier to hike. I normally takes the hard route up and easy route down.

According to the hiking map at the desert stalls, right after level 5 there will be a waterfall which takes a short distance by foot. This I have yet to explore. Somehow there is a small river and also a small waterfall on Level 1 which has cold refreshing waters.If you google-ed this, I am sure you can see some nice pictures on the waterfall after Level 5.

There are 2 stalls selling fruits and chinese deserts drinks. Mostly hikers stayed to cool off their body and even a quick wash off the mud on the shoes. There is a small changing room by the side for the ladies to have a quick change. So far I went there for a few times, even on Chinese New Year where I met an uncle singing festive songs by the river. There are some nice pretty girls too, but I have no idea of their hiking schedule. (^-^)

Gears I used for hiking:
1. Shoes (any good grip which isn't flat will do)
2. Short pants and t-shirts (colorful will helps if you are lost)
3. Hiking Sticks (ratan sticks, remind me of those used by my declipine teachers to whack us)
4. Tower
5. Extra T-shirt to replace the sweaty one
6. Water in a bottle

So far, foods is not important for my hiking session as the trip will only takes 1.5 hours depending on path conditions & those I hike with. So far now, I goes with my retired parents and uncles. My girlfriend just join me recently, she still needs some time to built up the stamina. Next stop, the waterfall after Level 5 but I must gather more people for this. I had a negative image here, after attending the waterfall... I need to climb my ass out again. Damn

But so far, the experience is a great one compare to gym (not saying gym is bad). I get to sweat all I had at the end of the hiking session.

No comments: